Tuesday 27 January 2015

New Year in New York


(Those are two of my most favourite photographs that I've ever taken!)
When I think back, it still doesn't feel real that I spent the end of Christmas and the New Year in the famous Big Apple. It really is as incredible as everybody says and I would go back in a heartbeat.

Hotel
The hotel we stayed at was called the Iroquois. Everything about this hotel was perfect, particularly the location. It's located on 49 West 44th Street which is two blocks away from Times Square, so it's extremely central! The only thing I would say, though, is that this hotel is a little pricey but when it's that central in NYC, it's to be expected.


Shopping
The shopping experience here is amazing amazing amazing!!  I definitely didn't spend $500... Around Christmas, some of the sales here are insane. They were selling Ralph Lauren polo's for $30, which works out at around £20. Macy's, Bloomingdale's, Sephora and Victoria's Secret was honestly a dream. Definitely expect a haul coming in the next post!  

Sightseeing
We had a full six days to spend in the city, and although we didn't manage to get absolutely everything done, we got a lot. We got the ferry from Battery Park to go and see the Statue of Liberty which was such an amazing thing to see in person (a little tip if you're going to go: go early. Queuing times were insane, we had to queue for two hours which was considered lucky. It was worth it though.) 
I've also always wanted to go to see Phantom of the Opera, and I was lucky enough to experience it on Broadway in the Majestic Theatre. It was amazing - although I did find it really scary because I'm a massive wimp with stuff like that - the story line was so sad, but the performance was amazing!
Another thing that we did was visit Ground Zero. I saw it in both the day and the night and I have to say although it was so impressive both times, when it's in the night and all the fountains are lit it is amazing to see. I also got to see the new World Trade Centre which I believe hasn't officially opened yet, which is a really impressive building. 







One of my favourite things to do whilst in New York was to go ice skating. I went ice skating on New Years Day in the Rockefeller skating rink which the most amazing experience! It was hard for me to choose between here or Central Park (which is such a beautiful place), but I'm sure I'll get around to that another time. I am so obsessed with ice skating so it was so exciting for me to go to one of the most famous places in the world. We didn't manage to get round to doing Top of the Rock so that's definitely on my bucket list for next time, but we did get around to doing the Empire State just before we went to Times Square on NYE. The Empire State was one of the scariest but best feelings ever - I am not one for heights, and those who say that you're 'so high you don't feel it' are lying, but it is an absolutely beautiful view. My phone doesn't like night-time-photo-taking so the photo's not the best, but I really don't think anything would be able to capture the view properly in a photo (they probs can but I can't). 




Another thing I was obsessed with was the Christmas Decorations. They're amazing! Above is the tree from the Trump Tower - which is Donald Trump's tower which is made of gold (!) - and below is the tree from the NY Public Library!


 





One thing that scares me in NYC is the transport. I think if I lived there, that would be the main issue for me. Being in a taxi is scary as hell but honestly, the underground 'Metro/Subway' station was bad. Let's just say, I fully understand why people love the London Underground so much now...

New Year's Eve
I thought I'd write a bit about my NYE experience just in case some of you are planning on booking to do this yourself. The obvious place to go at New Year's Eve is obviously Times Square to see the Ball Drop, which is exactly what we did! However, it was really complicated. Firstly, unless you have bought tickets which are insanely expensive for a family of five (around 130$ each), you have to queue from the early hours of the morning to get a good view of the ball drop. This is problematic for a lot of reasons - it's seriously freezing in New York at around this time, and the last thing you want to be doing is sitting down on the floor all day. Also, when you're in the queue, there is no food/drink/toilets. I have no idea how people do it. 
So, we clearly had to find a way around it. It was by pure luck that we managed to actually get anywhere near Times Square on that night. There are a lot of other really nice options for a person to do on NYE, there's fireworks in Brooklyn and many other events, there's fireworks above the Statue of Liberty, and there's also multiple parties in restaurants around Times Square that have a view of the Ball Drop. However, everything amounts to about $2948498248. By pure chance, we found free tickets to an Irish Bar on Times Square. They were handing them out for free because a table booked for 24 people had dropped out. So, we used these tickets to get past the NYPD and barriers into the side streets of Times Square but instead of going into the Irish bar, we just hung around the general area listening to the acts such as Taylor Swift, Fergie, etc. Although it was nice  because we could hear everything, we couldn't see anything so I probably wouldn't recommend this - although it was awesome considering this was literally a last minute thing. 
My recommendations, if you're in a pair or a small number or just paying for yourself and you don't mind paying around $100, would be to get tickets (get these way earlier in the year because they sell out fast) for a restaurant on Times Square that has a view of the Ball Drop. Some places have balconies that you can go out on to actually see the performances, but you'd probably have to pay a lot extra to see this!  





Apologies for the length of this post, but hopefully it has helped you in some way! New York is definitely my favourite city that I've been to. However, I'm going to Paris in March so we'll see how these compare! 
Thanks for reading xoxo


2 comments:

  1. luckyyyyy! I always spend new years same old little place :( this year I didn't even get to celebrate D':

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw I usually do too but this year we decided to do something different! Make sure you celebrate next year! :P

    ReplyDelete